Astbury Mere - Water Profile
Astbury Mere was created within a former sand and gravel extraction pit, which has been fully restored to provide a mature lake. In total the lake extends to some 43 acres and is a very attractive piece of water set in a slight valley surrounded in part by trees. On site there are WC's and facilities to purchase food and beverages from a licensed restaurant. Access and car parking is excellent
The water is extremely attractive and many swims offer easy access. The depths range from a few feet in the shallows to 50 feet out in the middle. There are many bars and shelves and a little plumbing about will easily locate likely feeding areas.
Astbury Mere is the Society’s only owned water, having been purchased in 2002. The water is a shared amenity with a sailing club who hold a lease with SOTAS. Members are encouraged not to cause conflict with other water users, rather share in the enjoyment of such an outstanding venue.
The lake is known to contain good stocks of carp, perch, pike, and roach. The Society was istrumental in a previous stocking in 1988, when roach, bream, common and mirror carp from the Capesthorne Estate were stocked.
The former owners stocked over 300 Carp from a southern fish farm, some of the fish coming from Woburn Abbey. Early indications show the fish are putting on weight with numerous fish of 25lb plus having been reported, in particular commons. The water holds an estimated 50 fish over 20lb and did it's first 30lb-plus fish during 2004. There have been bream to 6lbs caught and double figure pike. Subject to Environmental Agency approval the Society intends to stock catfish. The Society intends to make Astbury Mere one of the top specimen fisheries in the North West of England.
An intensive stocking program is already underway in order to make the large head of carp compete for food; huge numbers of coarse fish have been added in order to move the carp onto baits. Thousands of fish have been added over recent years with more planned for 2008.
Bream to 6lb
Common Carp 30lb
Mirror Carp to 28lb
Perch to 2lb
Pike to 23lb
Roach to 1lb
Located on the A34, ½ mile north of Astbury Village.
1 The season is from 1 January to 31 December.
2 Pike fishing is allowed all year.
3. A maximum of three rods may be used. Members are reminded that an additional rod licence will be required.
4. No leger or weight in excess of 3.5 oz is allowed.
5. No legers to be cast in the direction of the boats.
6. No fishing is allowed in the signposted area in front of and adjacent to the Sailing facility. No fishing is allowed in the Dog Swimming Area. This rule applies at all times.
7. NO WADING FOR ANY PURPOSE FROM PEGS 1, 2, 3 OR 4.
8. Cars must only be parked in car parks; display sticker if on the Country Park car park.
9. Members should note that Safety Boat (Power Boat) training may be in progress on the First Wednesday and following Thursday in any month; training will not commence before 9.30am.
10. Radio controlled bait boats are allowed during times when the Sailing facility is not operating on the water – members must have their own appropriate insurance.
11. All Member's litter is to be removed from the Water Park - do not use the litter bins which are on site.
IN ORDER TO PROTECT THE FISH; PEGS 1 TO 5 (SAILING FACILITY TO CONCRETE PAD) WILL BE CLOSED TO ANGLERS DURING THE PERIOD WHEN THE CARP ARE SPAWNING.
Incident requiring the Police call 0845 4580000 ask for Eastern Customer Service Desk. In emergency call 999